Wednesday 13 September 2017

We are all in this together

By Paige Pretorius

It is almost time to leave my family, friends and the place I have called home for 21 years, to begin a new adventure in the United States of America.


After our orientation at the Hilton Hotel, the reality of this impending journey hit me!   We received bright red packs with all the information we need to start our journey. Even then, it still felt like you can never have enough information.


Getting to chat to some of the “returners” and “newbies” at the orientation was a big help. It is intimidating having to talk to all these new people but these are the people who are possibly going to be your support structure while you are abroad. You want to get to know as many people as you can, and not only from your club but also from other clubs as well. The most amazing part so far is that I have already met some incredible people - and we have not even left yet.


Now, the time has come for us to start completing the tasks on our to-do list provided by Workaway International.  I have already been prodded with needles at the pathology lab and had x-rays taken of my chest at the radiologist.  Although it all sounds daunting (as it sure did to me), my excitement grows with every task that is ticked off my list.  

There is still quite a lot to do: A visit to the GP, the scary appointment at the USA Consulate and of course, getting down to the ‘nitty-grittys’ for our uniforms.

It will all come together and I would love to say “in time” however, we all know that there is not much time left. So all the best to my fellow Workaway International recruits, we are all in this together!


No comments:

Post a Comment