Monday 11 September 2017

My current journey with Workaway International

By Arthur Devon Petersen 

“Where do I begin?” is the exact question I asked myself when I realized that I wanted to embark on a journey to work and experience life in the USA. Who better to provide me with such a momentous opportunity than Workaway International?


I heard about Workaway International through friends. At first, I thought it was a scam – it was too good to be true. My friends embarked on their journey and completed their first season at Boca West Country Club in Florida.  I immediately knew that this is what I was meant to do as well!

I attended a presentation and went through the screening process. In the beginning it was quite overwhelming as there were so many people applying to be on the Workaway International programme. Johannesburg had over 1000 applicants! It is difficult not to second guess yourself. Even while meeting with the various Country Club representatives, you cannot help but doubt your chances of being successful in the process. I then thought to myself, this is just like varsity, it begins with plenty of students and only the cream of the crop make it to the end. Finally - to my amazement - I am a step away from being employed at Boca West Country Club.


It has been a long wait to get to where we are now. Since the orientation, it finally sunk in that I am on my way to America. This is an opportunity to make new friends, new connections and begin a new journey in my life. I have only the staff at Workaway International to thank for providing many people, like myself, an opportunity to make our families and country proud by allowing us to serve and represent the hospitality industry. I will be a Server at Boca West Country Club and for this I am truly blessed and grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment