Wednesday 26 April 2017

Workaway is about more then just about making money!

By Marvin Seekoei

I was struggling to decide on a topic to write about as this is my last blog and my last season on the program. However, after speaking to my wife, she reminded me of an interesting scenario - If I never came on this program what would my life have been like and who would have been part of it?

10 years ago, I met my wife on the Workaway International program. I have also made lifelong friends and met my current business partner.  I have realised that we generally tend to focus on money as a source of happiness and ignore the most valuable commodity in life, which is the relationships we build along the way.


My time in USA has also made me appreciate South Africa as I realised that every country has their own problems and issues but it is all about working through them with patience and love. Remember, no matter who you meet or what you do, there is always a lesson to be learned.

The experience I have gained from working at the Admirals Cove Country Club is invaluable. Working at a five star country club is probably the most challenging working environment you could experience. So if you can make it through a season, then working somewhere else will be a breeze.


The wisdom I have gained over the years has come from working and meeting people from different countries and cultures – it has certainly shaped me into the person I am today. The life lessons I have learned from the country club members are so amazing.


I want to wish all of the potential Workaway International participants the best for the future and remember that this experience is not just about money, it is about valuable life lessons that will mould you for the future. I want to send a shout out to the friends I have made on this program and a very special thank you to Marjorie Landsberg Territo for telling me about the presentation date in 2005 – that was the moment my life changed forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment