Tuesday 28 March 2017

An opportunity to see the world

By Caroline Calleja

In 2011 I decided I wanted to start travelling, meet new people and broaden my horizons. What better way to do this than with Workaway International!


I was hired as a hostess and even though I did not have a lot of experience in hospitality, I decided to be open-minded. I ended up enjoying every minute of it. I worked hard and met the love of my life, whom I later married.


I came back to South Africa after 6 long months of hosting however I knew I had to go back. I completed a season in Florida and New York, where I was asked to be a server.  After that, I ‘climbed the ladder’ to Server Captain and then Assistant Dining Room Manager and during my season in New York, I ran the front desk. 


I did this for three years and traveled every second I could. I visited 20 States, including Las Vegas, California, Chicago, New Orleans, Boston - the list goes on.  All while working hard and saving money.




On my return to South Africa, I assisted with the opening of a restaurant and private members club in Cape Town and ran the restaurant for a while. I would not have been able to come back to South Africa and receive such a key position in a new establishment if it was not for the opportunity Workaway International has given me. I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge and with Workaway International's continuous encouragement and motivation, anything is possible.

Thank you Workaway International for paving the road of my career! 





No comments:

Post a Comment