Wednesday 27 January 2016

Life lessons 101!

By Megan Nevett

Yes, I agree that everyone comes to the USA for the International experience…. And of course to make money (especially now with the Dollar / Rand Rate of exchange), which now works out to be exceptionally good money!!!


But besides the work experience and making money part of it, the most important thing you will learn is Real Life Experience.


I knew that when I left South Africa, I was leaving my family and the comforts of home, and for me that was the most daunting aspect of travelling overseas.  I was scared that I would miss home too much and that I was not strong enough, emotionally or mentally to cope with working and living with strangers in a foreign country, many, many miles away from home.


But I also knew that this experience would teach me to become a much stronger and independent woman. To what extent would I become stronger and more independent, I wasn't sure, but bit the bullet anyway and signed up.

I can now tell you that after being away from home for a mere 2 months I feel that I can safely say that I have learned to stand on my own two feet, even though it has been hard and there have been many occasions that I have missed home, friends and family so much that I even contemplated coming home.

In Florida, I have learned to survive and thrive, simply by having a good attitude, not taking things too seriously (I mean people… not work), to laugh at myself and most importantly being true to myself.


No matter what happens, no matter what situation you are faced with and it doesn't matter how hard it is- You will be just fine as long as you stick to you core beliefs and are true to yourself!

So, that is my life lesson that I have learnt from being away from home in a foreign country.  I will carry this lesson with me in the future, and hopefully grow from strength to strength!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment