Tuesday 21 October 2014

Bon voyage Cape Town, Hello Florida!

By Prudence Smart

My American adventure with Workaway International is almost here and I am so excited to start this journey!


I first heard about Workaway through a friend of mine, Robin Miller, who has previously been on the programme.   After he told me about how amazing Workaway is, I carefully considered joining, but nearly passed on it because I thought I would probably need to pay a lot of money to be a part of it.

Needless to say, I was wrong, and I am so happy I didn’t let this opportunity pass!  Robin kept persuading me to go to a presentation, which I finally did, so I owe it to Robin who helped me kick-start this adventure.
When I got that phone call to say I was successful, I literally did a happy dance and my bags have been packed for two weeks already.

Ok, so let’s rewind a bit: First I had to attend one of Workaway’s presentations (there were quite a few running this year from 5 August onwards). Team Workaway is very organised and everything is explained in detail at these presentations.  All participants are reminded of the dates for interviews, visa appointments and all other relevant dates during the entire process, which makes it so much more convenient for the applicants. This also made it easy for me to carry on working while getting all my paperwork ready for the visa.

I worked until the very last week, and then spent five days being a tourist in my own city.  Cape Town is truly a beautiful place and I will surely miss waking up to the splendid Table Mountain every morning.


My motto for this adventure is “I believe in myself and my ability to do my best.” I know that it will be hard work and that I need to give it my all, but my aim will be to also take some time out of my busy work schedule to see a bit of the environment I will be living in. So keep reading as I will be sure to update you on ‘all things Florida’ and maybe a few trips into the greater America too!


No comments:

Post a Comment