Wednesday 18 July 2012

New beginnings...New Adventures!

By Ndileka Nonose


My name is Ndileka, or 'Lumidee'..lol. Which is a name i got in my first season. Working with a wonderful group of people at Boca Rio Golf Club. Why that name, lol?. Wouldn’t you like to know? I am going to tell you about the most AMAZING 3 YEARS OF MY LIFE. It’s a real Rollercoaster... So here GOES... Let me 'take' you there with my Workaway Adventures.

DINNER WITH BOCA RIO FAMILY

When I first heard about this programme, through a flyer that I had discovered stashed away at one of the workstations at a restaurant I used to work at, like many others I also had my reservations. What was it all about? What was the catch? It all sounded too good to be true. So I and a very good friend of mine decided to go and attend the presentation. Which of course turned out to be very informative, it got me interested instantly. So I applied, got the job and with the help of the WONDERFUL Workaway team, got my visa and my dream of going overseas and experiencing a whole new WORLD and CULTURE became a reality.

WELCOME TO LAS VEGAS

When I got to Cape Town International on 30 October 2007, I was a nervous wreck. This being my first time flying and all. Then I saw a few people carrying the now popular RED PACKS, which a friend of mine who had previously been on the programme told me to look out for, I instantly felt at ease. From that moment I knew that there was no turning back. And soon after an extensive checking in, a 'last' good old South African meal at the Spur and a couple of local drinks later we were on our way....

NEW YORK WINTER WONDERLAND
I was more than excited when I landed in West Palm Beach Florida.  Every emotion and every thought was hitting me all at once. I met my first flat mate, Wayne Forsberg on the bus on our way to the apartment. He was a returner that made this so much easier for me. As I had so many questions, and was curious about everything. When we reached the apartment we quickly got ourselves sorted out as our other roommates had been there for 3 weeks already. Florida was AMAZING...very hot and humid. Needless to say I didn’t wear any jeans for the next couple of months...lol. Our club was very small with only about 200 members or even less than that... the experience of working for a club was interesting, totally different. It wasn’t always but what an amazing experience. It wasn’t long before all us South Africans gathered for the annual Workaway party....FUN FUN FUN NIGHT!!!

MIAMI 

Our first trip came in January when we all went to BUSH GARDENS... That was so much fun I, for the first time ever, went on a roller coaster... OMG what an awesome thrill! The adrenalin going through my body was amazing. Then came the fairytale experience of DISNEY WORLD... followed by a huge party trip to KEY WEST....what a beautiful trip that was. Soon enough I was lucky enough to get a job working at an exclusive club in New Jersey, Baltusrol Golf Club... That is where I feel my real American experience began....

On my next blog look forward to some wonderful stories about the Big Apple trips to Six flags, the wonderful friends I made and the trip to Las Vegas or maybe not about that. LOL. And a lot more EXCITING PICTURES.

No comments:

Post a Comment