Wednesday 25 January 2012

New Year...New Beginnings...New Things!



Well, the crazy busy festive season has come and gone with work starting to settle down into a groove now.

Americans sure know how to do Christmas... Decorations in the malls, on their houses and even their cars. I do love Christmas here as everyone gets into the spirit of the Holiday and you’re surrounded by Christmas music where ever you go, just to remind you what time of the year it is.

Being away from home during the Holidays can be difficult, but as a group we collectively held a Christmas party inviting all us South Africans, Irish, Romanian and those Americans who didn’t have family with them. Being such a big group we hosted it at the pool of our apartment complex with my housemate, Sam doing all the cooking. Everyone had to buy a gift for another person, which created much excitement and gave everyone the opportunity to find out more about our group. It was a lot of fun and helped everyone forget about being away from home.

I was fortunate not having to work on Christmas Eve, which is generally when the Americans celebrate family time. This allowed me to spend time with my “adoptive” American family whom I get to spend each Christmas with for the past couple of years.

After we rolled through Christmas, along came the New Year. The club hosted a huge NYE event with a street carnival for the earlier part of the evening outside. It had everything from ferris wheels, a band and food stations from all around the world.

The later part of the evening was for those that wanted to see in the New Year with a dinner dance party in the main clubhouse. Although we all had to work, we all got to spend time together and be a part of the celebrations welcoming in the New Year.

Having worked so much over the past couple of weeks, we all made lots of $$$. So shopping was on everyones agenda for the next week to feel some validation for what we had worked for.

The favorite place for me to hang out is the Apple Store at the Boca Town Center Mall. No matter what time of day or night you go there, it is the most popular place to be. It’s ALWAYS busy.

So the day came to upgrade my MacBook Pro and off I went to the Apple Store, believe it or not, there was a queue of people waiting outside the store for it to open. After a short wait my shopping gratification was satisfied with my purchase of a new MacBook Air. I LOVE IT!

Another new beginning for me this year, was after having worm reading glasses for over 10 years, I decided to “upgrade” that too to contact lenses. WOW! What have I been missing out on. It still takes me some time to get used to putting them in and taking them out at night, but I’m so glad I made the switch. For those of you that have worn glasses and then contacts will know what I am talking about.
So whats next on my agenda... It is planing some time way to either go to New Orleans or Las Vegas, definitely need to get some sight-seeing in. Watch this space.
Author: Andre Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment