Monday 3 October 2011

Summer in the City...



Over the past few weeks Spring has crept into the Mother City with the warm days and evenings and the green on the trees. Last weekend the weather couldn’t have been better.

Saturday it was off to Port Elizabeth to host the Orientation for the participants from that area. It was great to spend time with all the returners and the newbie’s, who for most would be their first time oversees. The returners did a great job of sharing their experiences with the first-timers and making everyone excited for the trip.

Waiting at the PE airport, Charlotte contacted me to confirm that the petitions were in the process of approval and we can start to prepare everyone for their visa appointments. Exciting news as we were all holding our breaths waiting for the final nod from the US government

On the flight back I realized what this meant… We are going to be VERY busy to prepare everyone over the next few weeks. I took the time to relax and look over the South African landscape, reminding me of what a beautiful country we stay in.

Sunday was a clear crisp day, which was perfect to explore Cape Town. A good friend and I with his son and his friend decided to take the Cable Car up Table Mountain as it had been years since we had both done it and for the boys it was their first experience.

WOW! What a spectacle! There were many jaw dropping moments with views that stretched as far as the eye could see. Amazing! One a side note, I would also like to mention that I suffer from vertigo; strange considering that I am almost 7ft tall. So it was quite an accomplishment for me to take this trip. HAHA! Another cool factor was that there were people from all parts of the world that had come to be there that day and experience what is on our doorstep everyday.


This experience reminded me of one of my favorite quotes: “The passing moment is all that we can be sure of; it is only common sense to extract its utmost value from it... “ - W. Somerset Maugham


Author: Andre Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment