Monday 29 August 2011

My 9 to 5 job!



Wow it feels amazing to have my first paycheque. I no longer have to be cautious on what to spend and can now splash out on new shoes and clothes – I am in heaven! It was however a bit difficult getting back into the routine of waking up early and working a 8 and a half hour day again, sitting behind a desk (so boring), dealing with paperwork and answering the telephone (annoying) , but it all pays off when you have your own money in your bank account.


On the Workaway side, I know a lot of you are still waiting to hear if you have been a successful applicant or not, I know that it is nerve wracking waiting for the news, but hang in there. And for those of you who were not successful, do not despair, it does not mean that you are not a worthy candidate, it just means that it wasn’t the right time for you to go. So if you are really keen on trying again next year, make sure you are extra prepared this time. Make sure that you have all the necessary training and experience you need for the position that you are applying for, and especially if you are applying to be a server, get some more serving experience, it won’t hurt to have that extra year or so on your CV.



For those of you who have been accepted, congratulations, you are in for the experience of a lifetime. Now the dreadful part begins, anticipation… you are so excited to leave and all time seems to be doing is taking it’s sweet time. The next step is the orientation which is very exciting because you get to meet all the other candidates who are leaving with you. You will be divided into your clubs so you get the chance to see who they actually are. If you are going alone, this is the perfect opportunity for you to meet other candidates who are also going alone and perhaps find yourself a roommate or a housemate, so that you are not too much in the dark when you get to the other side, and also to create some piece of mind. Last year for me, I was going on my own and I was worried about who I was going to live with and just afraid of the unknown I guess, but I made friends with one of the Workaway staff, begged her to be my friend, she offered me to stay with her in her house and we have been best friends ever since – she will be so happy that I actually posted this online because whenever she tells people this story, I always deny it! But seriously, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, invite some of the people on Facebook, get to know them and see if they are a stalker – just kidding – but at least when you are on your long flight to the US and those long layovers at the airport, you will have that familiar face to turn to.

Author: Nolene Lotz

No comments:

Post a Comment