Sunday 7 August 2011

It's all about a good attitude and a big smile!




Since I have returned to SA I have been landing some temporary jobs with a couple of temping agencies I joined, they have given me some assignments where I work a day or even a couple of days helping a company whose receptionist is off sick or in some sort of training. I was happy with this sort of arrangement as I was still getting some time off here and there, and still being able to sleep in and have the day to myself – something that becomes very valuable when days like these are limited whilst working overseas. If you are like me and you don’t end up saving the first time you go over, you are luckily covered for your first two to three months when you return, because you receive the refund of your security deposit and your final USA pay cheque. This certainly helps when you aren’t earning a steady income and all you want to do is party with your friends and family when you get back. But alas, I have now landed myself a permanent job where I am working 8 'till 5 and totally missing my free time, but hey, we all got to earn a living, and besides who else is going to support my shoe fetish!


I have also been lucky enough to help out with the interviewing process for Workaway at the Hilton in Durban; here I get to meet a bunch of people who are excited about branching off in a new direction of their lives and exploring a totally different part of the world. I love sharing my experiences with them and giving them some helpful tips for their Country Club interviews. I get flashbacks when I watch them sitting anxiously in their chairs, nervously waiting for their 10 minutes to shine, all dressed to impress in their suits and pencil skirts – takes me back to when I was going for my final interview. I remember being so nervous and thinking that my whole international future counted on the outcome of that interview. Need I mention that I am so glad that it all worked out and I got the opportunity to check out the greener grass.



For those of you, who are undergoing the interview process at the moment, try your best not to be nervous. Confidence is key! If you are sure of who you are, what you are capable of and have a big smile, the Americans will love you. Make sure that you dress smart and professional and speak loud and clearly, remember that you are trying to impress employers of a 5 star golf estates. Once you have heard the results and you have been selected, it’s all hustle and bustle from there – orientation, visa appointments, medical exams, and before you know it you are on your flight to Florida. If you don’t get selected however, don’t be discouraged, try again the next year, and if I can offer you any advice, it would be to go to the first presentation that is in your city, which is usually around May. Otherwise that’s it from me for now, check the rest of your Durbanites at your interviews tomorrow!



Author: Nolene Lotz

No comments:

Post a Comment