Tuesday 5 July 2011

Where in the world is Andre Smith?




The past two weeks have been spent traveling around some of the most beautiful areas of the Western Cape visiting restaurants recruiting waitrons and chefs for this upcoming season.

This past week I was able to visit my hometown of Stellenbosch which brought back great memories of when my family relocated from the hustle and bustle of a fast developing Sandton to the Dorp lifestyle of Stellenbosch. It was a great culture shock at first for me, but looking back I couldn't have wished for a better lifestyle change.

I remember living across the river from school and often during the cold winter months I would be running out the front door of our family home and dashing across the wooden walk-bridge with the gushing Eersterivier below, just in time as the school bell rang.

I look back today with such pride having gone to a school steeped in centuries of tradition and growing up in a town with so much history.

It was a great weather day, which is quite rare in the wintery Cape where myjourney also took me from the winelands of Paarl and Franschhoek where I met great candidates eager for the experience of a lifetime.

Later in the week, I spent three days interviewing applicants. Tiring as it can be to talk for so long, it is always interesting to meet new people and hear the life stories and what their longterm goals are. There are so many, that should they be selected to go on the program will have an experience they will never forget.

Another exciting event was the launch of the NEW Workaway International website. It was great to see all the positive feedback after so much time and effort was put in by all to develop this new site. Like a newborn, there will be changes as the site grows into our final vision. I hope you all take some time to go through the site and check out the cool YouTube video clip. Please post your feedback and comments on our Facebook page.
Well, the next few days are going to be spent visiting all the great restaurants in the Cape Town area. Looking forward to meeting you all!




Author: Andre Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment